Elizabeth A. Fisher, Michael Psellos On Symeon the Metaphrast and On the Miracle at Blachernae
1. Introducing Michael Psellos
2. Introduction to the Encomion of His Excellency Symeon the Metaphrast
3. Encomion of his Excellency Symeon the Metaphrast
4. Introduction to the Discourse on the Miracle That Occurred in the Blachernae [Church]
5. Discourse on the Miracle that Occurred in the Blachernae [Church]
Michael Psellos in monastic garb (left) with his pupil the emperor Michael VII Doukas; Athos, Pantokrator 234m fol. 254 recto (12th-13th century. Image: Wikimedia Commons under Public Domain Mark 1.0). At the instigation of Michael VII Doukas, Psellos composed his “Discourse on the Miracle that Occurred in the Blachernae Monastery” translated here (see 5. 29).