CIC-CHS Summer Internships
Dates: July 20-August 2, 2017
Deadline for Applications: April 19, 2017
Deadline for Recommendations: April 24, 2017
The CHS seeks two interns to manage the annual Council of Independent Colleges (CIC) seminar. On July 24-30, 2017, faculty from CIC member institutions will meet to extend their knowledge of Ancient Greece and to develop strategies for incorporating ancient sources into their courses. To learn more about the CIC seminar, click here.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Phase 1 (July 21-24): Conducting research and preparing assignments in order to contribute to conversations concerning the design of the courses; creating and editing content on websites.
- Phase 2 (July 25-29): Taking notes and providing general assistance during the seminar sessions and participating in the seminar; assisting with logistical arrangements that pertain to accommodations and meals for the participants; cleaning up after breaks and dinners.
- Phase 3 (July 31-August 1): Processing videos and creating podcasts from the seminar sessions; creating and editing content on websites.
The interns will receive a stipend of $1300 and will reside on the CHS campus from July 20-August 2. Interns are responsible for their travel to and from Washington, DC.
Interns will use Mac OS X and Microsoft Office. Interns will also work with Adobe Acrobat Pro, Final Cut Pro, Google Documents, Open Office, and web-based programs and sites such as Sakai and WordPress. No prior knowledge of these technologies is necessary; all that is necessary is the desire and ability to learn them.
Current undergraduate students from colleges and universities in the United States may apply. Any concentration or major is eligible but a background in Classics is preferred. Applicants must demonstrate the internship’s relevance to their studies and future career plans.
The application deadline is April 19, 2017, and responses from the questionnaires for references are due no later than April 24, 2017.
Students interested in applying should:
- fill out the online application,
- include in the application contact information for two references,
- include a PDF attachment of his/her transcript,
- include a PDF attachment of his/her résumé.
The student’s references may be professors, employers, or advisors. The references should be able to comment specifically about the student’s academic records, their capacity to carry out the responsibilities listed above, and their ability to work effectively and cooperatively with other interns, the staff at the Center, and the scholars visiting the Center. Students should inform their references that the CHS will contact them directly and ask them to submit their letters.
The CHS will contact finalists to schedule an interview.
- Application attachments must be in PDF format or the system will reject them.
See this website for résumé guidelines and examples.
Please direct your questions to internships(at)chs.harvard.edu.