Steven M. Berry, Vico's Prescient Evolutionary Model for Homer
1. Prophet of Modern Oral-Evolutionary Theories
2. Vico's Homeric Ékphrasis
3. Book III: Vico's “Empirical” Homer(s)
4. Evolutionary Models Resist Literary Bias
5. Vico's Homer Makes the Greco-Roman Continuum Possible
6. Is There a Latent Jurisprudential Paradigm in Vico's Homer?
7. Two Conclusions
Vico's Prescient Evolutionary Model for Homer
Steven M. Berry
Verisimilia namque vera inter et falsa sunt quasi media.
“For indeed, probabilities [i.e., things that seem true] are midway, more or less, between true things and false things.”
– Giambattista Vico, De nostri temporis Studiorum Ratione (1709)
Tutte l’antiche storie profane hanno favolosi in princìpi.
“All the profane stories of antiquity were told orally in the beginning.”
– la Scienza Nuova (1744) 
[ back ] 1. Unless specified, all translations are those of the author.