For access to the library, potential visitors must complete and submit the online application.
Please Note: The main building and library will be closed to visitors starting May 29, 2023 due to a significant renovation project. We will announce a date for reopening as soon as it is known.
Visitors are encouraged to consult the Center’s library catalog to determine how they can best use the Center’s resources. (Be sure to set the location filter to ‘Ctr Hellen Studies‘.)
Visitors must formally agree to the following policies regarding their use of the Library before they can receive access. These policies are necessary because of the increased demands for Center resources, concern for security, and the fragility of much of the Library collection. Visitors who fail to adhere to these policies may lose their Library privileges.
- Visitors may access the CHS library by appointment only.
- Library visitors must provide vaccination records to the CHS Administrative Manager.
- We strongly encourage masking in public areas of the main building.
- These COVID policies are subject to change as circumstances require.
- The CHS Library is open to scholars who are currently engaged in a specific research project which matches the strengths and focus of the collection.
- The Director’s Office of the Center for Hellenic Studies reserves the right to refuse access to any scholar on the basis of the above criterion and adherence to the policies below.
Requesting Visitor Privileges
- All visitors must complete the online form identifying themselves and describing their project before scheduling an appointment. This form will be kept on file at the Center.
- Center staff will respond promptly informing applicants of the status of their request.
- Only authorized visitors may enter the Library. All other guests (e.g., research assistants) must be approved in advance by Library staff. Children and pets are not allowed in the Library.
- Continuing visitors must renew their applications each September and March.
- Visitors must make an appointment for each visit.
The library is open Monday through Friday, 9.00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. The Library is closed on all federal holidays.
Please note that the Library will be closed from Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day.
Visitor appointments may be scheduled for Mondays through Fridays, 9:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 1:30-5:00 p.m.
While at the Center
- The Center’s Library is a non-circulating collection. Books may not be removed from the Library building.
- Visitors must log in and out of the main building every time they visit.
- Visitors may bring only notebooks and laptops into the Library, leaving all book bags and cases in designated areas.
- Visitors must limit their activities at the Center to research directly involving the Library collections, and to research related to their stated project. A collegial, scholarly atmosphere must be maintained in the Library at all times.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the Library stacks. Visitors may bring water in sealed containers for their carrels.
- Library materials may be scanned free of charge. Scanner availability may be limited if there is increased user demand.
- Please do not re-shelve books. Visitors should return books to designated book return areas.
- Visitors may check out books to an assigned shelf at the discretion of the Library Staff.
The above policies are effective as of November 16, 2022.