Please Note: Due to the continuing pandemic, visitor access to the CHS Library is currently limited. In addition to the CHS Library’s general visitor policies, visitors must observe special policies related to the continuing pandemic.
For access to the library, potential visitors must complete and submit the online application.
Visitors are encouraged to consult the Center’s library catalog to determine how they can best use the Center’s resources. (Be sure to set the location filter to ‘Ctr Hellen Studies‘.)
Visitors must formally agree to the following policies regarding their use of the Library before they can receive access. These policies are necessary because of the increased demands for Center resources, concern for security, and the fragility of much of the Library collection. Visitors who fail to adhere to these policies may lose their Library privileges.
- Visitors may access the CHS library by appointment only. Each visitor is limited to no more than three (3) hours per week.
- Library visitors must provide vaccination records and a weekly negative COVID test result to the CHS Administrative Manager. The test results must be no more than 7 days old.
- Visitors are limited to the library itself, a designated carrel, and a designated restroom. They may bring water in sealed containers. Technical assistance is not available. Visitors must wear a mask while inside the main building.
- These COVID policies are subject to change as circumstances require.
- The CHS Library is open to scholars who are currently engaged in a specific research project which matches the strengths and focus of the collection.
- The Director’s Office of the Center for Hellenic Studies reserves the right to refuse access to any scholar on the basis of the above criterion and adherence to the policies below.
Requesting Visitor Privileges
- All visitors must complete the online form identifying themselves and describing their project, at least forty-eight hours (excluding Saturday and Sunday) in advance. This form will be kept on file at the Center.
- Center staff will respond promptly informing applicants of the status of their request.
- Only authorized visitors may enter the Library. All other guests (e.g., research assistants) must be approved in advance by Library staff. Children and pets are not allowed in the Library.
- Continuing visitors must renew their applications each September.
Library hours for visitors are Monday through Friday, 9.00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. The Library is closed on all federal holidays.
Please note that the Library will be closed from Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day.
While at the Center
- The Center’s Library is a non-circulating collection. Books may not be removed from the Library building.
- Visitors must log in and out of the main building every time they visit.
- Visitors may bring only notebooks and laptops into the Library, leaving all book bags and cases in designated areas.
- Visitors must limit their activities at the Center to research directly involving the Library collections, and to research related to their stated project. A collegial, scholarly atmosphere must be maintained in the Library at all times.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the Library stacks.
- Library materials may be scanned free of charge. Scanner availability may be limited if there is increased user demand.
- Please do not re-shelve books. Visitors should return books to designated book return areas.
- Visitors may check out books to an assigned shelf at the discretion of the Library Staff.
The above policies are effective as of June 1, 2017.