The majority of the cookies we use are of the analytic type, which count number of users, and help us to understand how they navigate our site and how to improve the way it works, for instance by making search results more accurate. We also use certain cookies for publicity purposes, so that we can more efficiently manage the presentation of our programs, activities, and services on other platforms where users may request services, such as Facebook or YouTube. Third party cookies are out of our control and may change when third parties change their websites.
None of our cookies store any personal information such as your name or address. Please be aware that restricting cookies may impact on the functionality of our websites.
WHAT KIND OF COOKIES DO WE USE?
According to the type of organization which administers them:
- First party cookies: installed by our own websites.
- Third party cookies: installed by websites which don’t belong to us. For instance, where we include content from YouTube on our own website or buttons which users can use to share content on social networks, a user accessing such content from our own website may have cookies added from these third parties. The Center for Hellenic Studies doesn’t control these third party cookies and so the user must review the cookie policies of these other websites for further information.
According to the length of time they remain active in the user’s system:
- Session cookies: collect and store data only whilst the user is visiting the websites.
- Persistent cookies: remain stored in a computer and may be accessed and managed by the organization responsible for the cookie for a specific length of time, or until the user deletes it.
According to the purpose for which data are collected through the cookies:
- Technical cookies: allow the user to make use of the different options they facilitate: for example controlling data traffic and communication, identifying a session, accessing restricted areas, requesting a subscription or participating in an event etc.
- Personalization cookies: allow the user to access services with certain personalized characteristics such as language, browser type, configuration for the region from which the user accesses services etc.
- Analytical cookies: allow website managers to follow and analyse the behavior of users on a website so that they can make improvements informed by data analysis on the use of the website by users of its services.
- Advertising cookies: help with the management of advertising spaces which a web editor has included on a website where services are offered, based on criteria such as the type of content or the frequency with which the content is shown.
In the tables below we detail the type of cookies that we use on our websites along with their purpose and their expiry:
|Category: Necessary (7)|
|Necessary cookies help make websites usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the websites. The websites cannot function properly without these cookies.|
|JSESSIONID||chs.harvard.edu||Preserve users states across page requests||HTTP||Session|
|Archimedes-digital-app||chs.harvard.edu||Track authorized users across pages||HTTP||1 year|
|loginToken||chs.harvard.edu||Track authorized users across pages||HTTP||Session|
|userId||chs.harvard.edu||Track authorized users across pages||HTTP||Session|
|PHPSESSID||chs.harvard.edu||Keep PHP session information||HTTP||Session|
|Hold user for WordPress after auth||HTTP||Session|
|Only when logged in to dashboard||HTTP||Session|
|Category: Statistics (3)|
|Statistic cookies help website owners to understand how visitors interact with websites by collecting and reporting information anonymously.|
|_ga||Harvard.edu||Used by Google Analytics to throttle request rate||HTTP||2 years|
|_gat||Harvard.edu||Used by Google Analytics to throttle request rate||HTTP||Session|
|_gid||Harvard.edu||Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website||HTTP||Session|
|Category: Marketing (4)|
|Marketing cookies are used to track visitors across websites. The intention is to display ads that are relevant.|
|GPS||Youtube.com||Registers a unique ID on mobile devices to enable tracking based on geographical GPS location||HTTP||Session|
|PREF||Youtube.com||Registers a unique ID that is used by Google to keep statistics of how the visitor uses YouTube videos across different websites||HTTP||8 months|
|Visitor_info1_live||Youtube.com||Tries to estimate the users’ bandwidth on pages with integrated YouTube videos||HTTP||179 days|
|YSC||Youtube.com||Registers a unique ID to keep statistics of what videos from YouTube the user has seen||HTTP||Session|
Turning off Cookies
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. Below are links to the pages of major browsers which explain how you can do this. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site or any other websites that you visit.
Microsoft edge: https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-microsoft-edge-and-privacy
Microsoft internet explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
Apple Safari: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph21411?locale=en_US
Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences